Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Movies Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing Depth of Processing

Thursday, September 16, 2021

2021 Muscato Wine


The muscato juice had a share content of 23% (Brix of 21 degrees) for a projected alcohol content of 11%.  I thought about this a while, and decided not to add sugar. The thought is that Muscato is usually made at lower alcohol content, even as low as 7%. (I can always fortify it later, if I want to.) 


2021 Muscato Wine

Grapes                            108 lb

Yeast Energizer              3 g

Pectic enzyme                3 g

Lalvin QA23 yeast        1 packet

I pressed the grapes immediately. The grapes were very juicy and they extruded themselves through gaps in the press. 

I kept the grapes in the press overnight, and drained two liters that way. In the morning I cranked-down on the press and got more wine out. In the morning, the drained grapes were firmer, and I could press them in the normal way. 

Fermentation started immediately, and the juice was fairly dry after four days. I transferred it to a glass demijohn at that time..  



Spring 2022

I put this outside for about a week for cold aging to help the insolubles to fall out of solution. 


Update: 8/27/2022

I backsweetened about half of this batch with 1.0% dextrose. This made the tartness milder, but still there. At 1.5 or higher, the flavor seemed less complex -- it is hard to describe, but I didn't like it as well. 

The rest of the batch may be used for blending with my reds. 

The wine has an OK flavor, but is not very complex. 



No comments: