Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Movies Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing Depth of Processing

Thursday, September 16, 2021

2021 Merlot

These merlot grapes were fairly firm when I got them. (The grapes were from Delta Packing Co in Lodi CA. Smiling Baby brand.) I used a home-made milk-crate type destemmer, and then crushed them in my crusher. The crusher did not so a great job. While the grapes were generally cracked, the majority of the grape stayed in the skin. I ran most of the must through my old crusher to do a better job. The measured sugar content went up after the second crushing from 12.7 to 13.1 degrees Brix. 

2021 Merlot Recipe

Merlot grapes        144 lb

pectic enzyme            4 g

yeast energizer            5 g

sugar                        741 g

Lalvin EC 1118             2 packets

The Brix refractive index was 13.1 degrees, and corresponded to 13.1% alcohol. I added some sugar to get to 13.4%. 

Fermentation started slowly. I added a second packet of yeast on the second morning. Of the three batches I started last Friday, this one is fermenting the slowest. At 6 days it is still significantly sweet. 






 

No comments: