Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Movies Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing Depth of Processing

Sunday, October 9, 2011

2011 Pinot Grigio

I really like the flavor of the unfermented Pinot Grigio juice. As you can see this is a light red grape, and one presses it immediately after crushing to get a white wine. The idea is to avoid the plant-y flavor and get a fruitier and flowery flavor.

I bought 108 lb of Lodi Gold California Pinot Grigio. There are about nine gallons of juice. These grapes had were in good shape as you see in the picture, but also had some with mold, and a few rotten.

 I tried to pick out the rotten ones, not being a fan of the so-called noble rot. I mean the actual rot, not the rock band.  My grandfather used to leave these in with the idea that the natural yeast will improve the flavor. He was probably too cheap to through them away. My Dad usually left them in as well.

Recipe

108 lb grapes
45 g Yeast Energizer
12 g pectic enzyme
1 packet Red Star Premier Curvee'


The refractive index of the juice was 26 degrees Brix and the density was 1.11 g/ml.  According to Pambianchi's Techniques in Home Winemaking, it has 29% sugar content. I am always surprised, and pleased when the two techniques agree.

A sugar content of 29% which will produce a 13.7% ethanol content. This is a little high for a white wine, but the juice does not seem over concentrated by taste, and I am afraid to dilute the flavor by adding water.

There were dried grapes in with the crushed grapes. It would have had higher sugar content if I'd try to make it as a Rose'.

Now the wine is fermenting in the primary fermenter. I hope to transfer to glass in five or six days. I have taken to following the progression of fermentation by flavor. It is much easier than watching the refractive index change, and I don



No comments: