Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Movies Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing Depth of Processing

Sunday, August 16, 2009

2009 Blueberry Wine and Wine Update


It's been three weeks since I started the blueberry wine, and I racked it for the first time today. I also removed it from its oversized demijohn and put in a three gallon carboy, where it will be for a while.

The flavor has changed a great deal in the last three weeks. The last remaining sweetness is gone. The wine is very fruity, very dark in color, strong tannin flavor, light in alcohol, very yeasty, and a little too sour. The color has changed and it is less red. It was more red than my cherry wine for a while.

I checked the pH and it was 3.2 by pH paper, which is about normal. I bought a little handheld pH meter and a set of standards, but I have set it up yet. I decided that regardless of what it was, it was too early to adjust it. I will wait for a few months before doing anything.

=======================================================================
Update on other wines:

It's been five weeks on the 2009 cherry wine -- so far so good.

It's nearing 10 months on the 2008 Merlot. I am going to have to transfer it out of its demijohn soon to make room for this year's grape wine. I am hoping to get petite Syrah grapes. If I do a white, it will be a Riesling.

I have been drinking my 10 month old 2008 White Grenache. After much work, I have gotten it to clarify with a bentonite addition. I like it better now that it is clear. I like it; it is a fruity simple wine -- not so complex.

2 comments:

Sport Tourism Co-Laboratory said...

Dear Greg:

Which wine will you drink on your birthday? I hope you have a happy one and a delicious glass of wine.

Love,

Doug

Greg Turco said...

Doug,
Nice to see you found this. None of these wines are ready to drink yet. I had California Riesling on my birthday. I have been enjoying Riesling more lately.


I racked the cherry wine on 13 September, and tried it. It has high potential, and I am sure I can make a nice sweet wine. I am hoping I can make a nice light dry wine which is my real goal.

I still need to reach the blueberry.